Sunday, May 5, 2013

Pulau Kotok | Indonesia

It's that time of the year when summer is just in sight. I am itching for summer break just about as much as the kids are so yesterday, I decided to get far, far away from the city. In what might have been my most spontaneous travel moment yet, I decided at 7 am that I wanted to go to one of pulau seribu (the thousand islands), the closest thing to nature Jakarta has to offer. In order to make that happen, I had to race across Jakarta to make the 8 am boat. I have been on my share of rickety boats leading to Indonesian islands so my expectations were pretty low but it was a pleasant suprise when instead of a wooden dinghy, I found a private yacht!



The aim of this particular island is to create an atmosphere of isolation, which they execute perfectly. Despite the 40-ish guests on the island, I rarely saw any of them as I made my way around the perimeter. The island was fairly small; it only took me about an hour and a half to make my way around the whole thing. Carefully manicured pathways through lucious green jungle allow visitors easy exploration.


No comments:

Post a Comment