Sunday, May 4, 2014

Pura Ulun Danu | Bali | Indonesia

Living in Jakarta is routinely stressful, to say the least. For our last school holiday during my time here, I wanted to have an experience that encompassed all of the good and beautiful aspects of living in Indonesia, things that are often forgotten in the hustle and bustle of city life; the anthesis of Jakarta. After doing research and consulting my Indonesian bucket list, I booked a ticket to Bali.

My first destination was Pura Ulun Danu, also known as the water temple, in northern Bali. Of all of the kilometers I've driven in Indonesia, these were quite possibly the most beautiful. Nestled inside a volcanic lake, this temple stands out from the many others in Bali because it was partially constructed over the water. Upon your arrival (which is best in the early morning before the sun and the tourists show up), you can opt to rent a boat to view the site from the other side of the lake.

While I was admiring the serenity of such a beautiful place, a drum core struck up nearby and I followed a trail of people to the edge of the lake for an offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment